This ketchup is a sauce that combines the sweetness of mangos and bananas with an exotic spiciness. Serve as a dipping sauce for fritters, shellfish, pork, chicken, sausage, ham, or appetizer meatballs. You can even use it as a meatloaf topping for a different meatloaf taste experience. Cook this up in less than 30 minutes. Wonderfully, it will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
* 2 mangos, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 1 very ripe banana, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 1/4 cup finely diced sweet onions
* 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
* 1 clove garlic, chopped
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
* 1 Tablespoon molasses
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/2 cup water
Place the mangos, bananas, sweet onions, tomato paste, garlic, salt, brown sugar, molasses, balsamic vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce in a food processor and pulse until pureed.
Transfer puree to a saucepan. Add ground chipotle pepper, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and water. Stir to combine. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature to serve. Cover and refrigerate leftovers and use within two weeks.
Yield: about 2 cups
Mango Banana Ketchup Recipe Photo © 2007 Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, licensed to About.com, Inc.