Green tomato ketchup is an excellent way to use up those green tomatoes left in the garden each fall. It is very easy to make, but plan ahead. The tomatoes need to stand at least 8 hours or overnight.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
* 24 medium (6 pounds or 2.5 kg) green tomatoes, chopped
* 15 medium (3 pounds or 1.5 kg) onions , chopped
* 1/2 cup (125 ml) coarse salt
* 3 cups (750 ml) white vinegar
* 2 cups (500 ml) granulated sugar
* 6 Tablespoons (90 ml) mixed pickling spices, tied in cheesecloth
In a large bowl, alternative layers of tomatoes and onions, sprinkling each layer with salt. Let stand for at least 8 hours or overnight. Rinse; drain well. Combine vegetables with vinegar, sugar, and spice bag.
In a large saucepan or stock pot, bring mixture to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for about 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently until slightly thickened. Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
Yield: Approximately 12 cups (3 Liters)
Recipe Source: A Taste of Quebec by Julian Armstrong (Hippocrene Books)