A spicy ketchup that is relatively easy to make and doesn't require an up-front investment of hours in the kitchen.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Number of Servings: 20 2-tbsp servings
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 4 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
* 1 tbsp tomato purée
* 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
* 2 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp yellow mustard powder
* 2 dried chillies, crumbled
* 8 1/2 tbsp icing sugar
* 7 tbsp rice wine vinegar
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp black pepper
1. Add onion, tomatoes, purée, brown sugar, cinnamon, mustard and chilis in a pan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
3. In the meantime, sift icing sugar into a pan and cook on medium heat until caramelized.
4. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar.
5. Place back on the heat and let reduce to half - about 20 minutes.
6. Add all cooked ingredients, vinegar reduction, salt and pepper to a blender and puree smooth. Taste and, if necessary, add more vinegar.
7. Store in the refrigerator.
Number of Servings: 20
- from Zorra's blog